Main Menu

Governor, Seminoles sign gaming deal

Started by thelakelander, November 14, 2007, 09:14:51 PM

thelakelander



QuoteTALLAHASSEE - Gov. Charlie Crist and Seminole Tribal Chairman Mitchell Cypress today signed a gambling compact agreement that lets the tribe dramatically expand its casino operations in exchange for giving the state a share of the proceeds.

Members of the tribal council joined Crist for a news conference in Tallahassee, and at the end of it they signed a 25-year deal that brings to a close 16 years of negotiations.

The deal allows the Tribe to operate Las Vegas style slot machines and banked card games, like baccarat and blackjack, at the seven casinos they now operate around the state. Additionally, six no-limit poker games will be allowed each year, with 70 percent of the revenue going to charity.

In return, the state will get $50 million from the Tribe as soon as the federal government approves the compact. After that, the state will get guaranteed minimum annual payments of $100 million. Starting in the third year of operation, the state will receive between 10 and 25 percent of the gambling revenue, based on how much money the Tribe takes in.
The Legislature will appropriate the money, but Crist is asking that 95 percent be earmarked for education and the remaining 5 percent go to local governments impacted by the increased activity at the Seminole casinos.

"It's the right thing to do," Crist said of the agreement. "If we don't, the feds will and the state will get zero."

As for those who don't like the idea of expanded gambling, the governor said, "If people don't like gambling, they shouldn't go."

The sealing of the long-sought deal on Seminole gambling comes one day before the deadline set by the U.S. government for the state and tribe to reach accord and the same day state economists are likely to reveal that tax revenues may fall up to $2 billion short of what's needed to fund the current state budget.

Last week the U.S. Department of Interior gave the state until this Thursday to complete the deal with the tribe or the federal government would impose "procedures", a process where the Indian casinos would get expanded gambling without a guarantee of any financial benefit for the state.

Federal officials have cautioned the state that the Tribe was left an "unfair playing field" after voters approved Class III, or Las Vegas-style, slots in Broward County. The Indian casinos now are allowed to offer only Class II slot machines that offer bingo odds and are not as lucrative for the player or the casino.

Both sides have said for months that they were close to agreement, but Crist has been on a trade mission to Brazil for the past week, only returning on Monday and apparently agreeing to the deal Tuesday.

Linda Kleindienst can be reached at lkleindienst@sun-sentinel.com

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-1114gamblecompact,0,4555747.story

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

QuoteLast week the U.S. Department of Interior gave the state until this Thursday to complete the deal with the tribe or the federal government would impose "procedures", a process where the Indian casinos would get expanded gambling without a guarantee of any financial benefit for the state.

Seems like it would be to the tribe's benefit not to come to an agreement with the state... although federal "procedures" may not be as fun as it sounds.

Jason

I wish the tribe had some land downtown they were willing to develop